Specialist Lawyers For You and Your Business

Free Legal Advice Now!

Let our experienced professionals help you.

Claim Type

Tenancy Deposit Claims

Has Your Tenancy Deposit been Protected?

Have you or someone on your behalf paid a deposit to a landlord for your tenancy in the last 6 years? Landlords have an obligation to pay deposits received from you into a deposit protection scheme. If the landlord failed to do so Barings Solicitors can help you gain compensation.

Protection Schemes

Your landlord must put your deposit in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme (TDP) if you rent your home on an assured shorthold tenancy that started after 6 April 2007. In England and Wales your deposit can be registered with one of the following:

If you don’t rent your home on an assured shorthold tenancy, your landlord can accept valuable items (for example a car or watch) as a deposit instead of money. The items won’t be protected by a scheme.

There are separate schemes in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

They make sure you’ll get your deposit back if you:

  • meet the terms of your tenancy agreement;
  • don’t damage the property; and
  • pay your rent and bills.

Holding Deposits

Your landlord doesn’t have to protect a holding deposit (money you pay to ‘hold’ a property before an agreement is signed). Once you become a tenant, the holding deposit becomes a deposit, which they must protect.

Deposits Paid by a Third Party

Your landlord must use a TDP scheme even if your deposit is paid by someone else, such as a rent deposit scheme or your parents.

Act Now and Claim

If your landlord fails to protect the tenancy deposit with one of the TDPs within 30 days of the date on which the deposit was provided by you then the landlord will be subject to a penalty and you will be entitled to compensation.

Barings Solicitors have repeated success in recovering between 1-3 times the amount of deposit you paid.

If landlords continue to ignore the law, Barings Solicitors are here to help you gain the protection and compensation that you deserve. We have a team of experienced solicitors helping tenants enforce their rights against landlords and obtaining compensation for you.

To get started with your claim, get in touch today by calling our team on 0161 200 9960.


Barings Solicitors were outstanding! I have used other solicitors before but no other firm made me feel like they really cared about me as a person. Thank you so much!



View our